Friday, November 24, 2006

Chinese students answer questions

Through the BBC, pupils at a Chinese school (the Beijing Academy of Educational Science Pilot Middle School) and an English school (Our Lady's Convent High School in London) are sharing the school day via a laptop link-up. The BBC has asked people to put questions to the students in China. Although the Chinese authorities have erased some of the questions on topics such as Tibet, Taiwan and freedom of expression, it is still worthwhile visiting the BBC site.

A few questions and answers:

Question from Matt Claremont-Davies, Exeter, UK
Is it important to modern students to understand the English language?

Wu Man: Of course! This is because English is the most popular language in the world and people use the language everywhere. I think Chinese is too difficult for foreigners - it is easier for us to learn English. I also speak a bit of Japanese and Korean.

Question from Anthony Hedrick, California, USA
Hello, I would like to know what a typical day of school is like, also what is the general feeling towards Americans in China. If I could visit your country I would like to see the Great Wall.

Liu Rai (17): I start school at 7am and each class lasts 45 minutes. Then we have a ten minute break before the next class. We have lunch at 12. It takes ages for us to have lunch because there are so many people in my class. When the bell rings at 12.45 we go back to class. Then we have self study and then formal classes after that. Because my home town is far away, I live at home which is just so-so. I see my family at the weekends, so it's not too bad. I don't know much about America as I don't have any American friends but I do have an English friend. I would like to go to India as I like their beautiful clothes. I would prefer to go to England rather than America as I like British English.


Question from Michael D. Griffin, Neil Murray, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Last year, when I was in Beijing in August, I noticed that there were very, very few children anywhere. I was told that this is because they were all in summer school, because the education system is so competitive. is this true?
Sun Hai Qing (16): It is true. I go to summer school but I don't mind as I learn about a lot of things I like. I like the education system though I agree it is fiercely competitive

Question from Ms. F, US
I would like to know if the students feel able to balance schoolwork with leisure activities. Many Chinese seem to think that all they should be doing is working.
Liu Feng (17): I think that having fun is just a small part of life. As a Chinese student, it is very important for us to study hard and pass the university examination: that has to come first. The exam is called the gaokao and on June 6th next year. The results decide whether we go to university or not. I have already drawn up a study plan for the exam.


Question from Zavier Horwell, Teddington, UK
What is it like to be living in such a big, overpopulated country? Also how do you fell about obesity and why do you do so much sport?

Sun Hai Qing: I am proud to live in China. There is 5000 years of history in China and no other country in the world has that. Obesity mostly affects younger children. Because of the one-child policy, parents spoil their child, but girls my age are all trying to lose weight to be pretty. I don't do much sport but I like to play basketball and run - it keeps me fit.

Sun Peng (18): I am very proud of living in this country. Although the large population needs more resources, we're united together to develop our country into a modern and strong country.
With the development of living standards, there are more and more children who are too fat. I think a balanced diet is important and doing exercise regularly is necessary. Children should not eat too much fast food such as potato chips, hamburgers and ice cream. They are rich in fat.
I like doing exercise. I like football very much. I play football everyday. I think sports make me strong and healthy.
Now it's your turn.
1. Write ONE question you would like to ask the Chinese students.
2. Remember something that struck you: ONE similarity or ONE difference, between you and the Chinese students.

No comments: