Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Expressing preference in English

First, rebuild the dialogue between Tim and a customer by putting the eight sentences below in the right place.
Then, listen to the dialogue to check.
_____________________________________________________________________
Sentences
1. Have you worn the watch in the shower perhaps sir?
2. I'm so sorry you've been inconvenienced. Would you like a refund?
3. It's about this watch.
4. No and I only bought it two weeks ago. It's still under guarantee but I must say, for the amount of money I paid for it, I'm very disappointed.
5. No, I'd rather have the watch replaced please.
6. Right, well, I'll just take down your purchasing details and we'll get this watch changed for you in no time at all.
7. The alarm doesn't work and the strap leaves a green mark on my wrist when I take it off.
8. What seems to be the problem?
______________________________________________________________________
Dialogue

Tim: How can I help you sir?
Customer:
Tim:
Customer:
Tim:
Customer:
Tim:
Customer:
Tim:

To see the key move your cursor mouse between x and y at the end of this post.
======================================================================

Expressing preference in English. Study these sentences.
I’d rather go to the cinema than to the theatre.

I prefer London to Paris.
I prefer reading to watching TV.
I like reading better than watching TV.
I’d rather you didn’t buy that motorbike.
===============================================================
Now make sentences.
A holiday at the seaside or in the mountains?
Peeling carrots or potatoes?
Working in the morning or in the afternoon?
Going to the cinema or to the theatre?
Travelling in Spring or in Autumn?
Reading or watching television?
Washing the dishes or the pots?
Washing a dog or a cat?
Learning vocabulary or grammar?

______________________________________________________________

Key: x 3-8-7-1-4-2-5-6 y


No comments: