Thursday, November 30, 2006

US man saved from alligator jaws


Read this BBC story.
Complete it with these words/verb forms:

1. are broken 2. believed 3. broken
4. dragged 5. had admitted 6. is believed
7. responded 8. saved 9. waded
10.was later caught 11. was later described
12. was overshadowed

A naked man ________ from the jaws of a 12-foot (3.6-metre) alligator by Florida police officers after reports of a man screaming in a lake in the early hours.
Four members of the Polk County Sheriff department ________ through waist-deep mud in the dark to reach Adrian Apgar, 45, and pull him free from the alligator. Mr Apgar _______ as critically ill in hospital.
Police said it was unclear why he was in the water in the early hours, but he _______ taking crack cocaine.
They _______to calls from the public who had heard a man screaming for help at central Florida's Lake Parker at around 0400 (0900 GMT).
“I remember him saying: 'I'm over here, get here quick, he's still got me, he's going to kill me, my arms ________',” one of the deputies, Michael Parker, later told a news conference.
The four officials _______ Mr Apgar 40 metres out of the water, up a steep bank to the ambulance.
He ________ to have severe injuries to his left arm, a ________ right arm and leg injuries.
Another deputy, Billy Osborne, said that any fear of the alligator ________ by need to rescue the man.
“'It was a human being, he was dying. He needed help,” Mr Osborne said. “I knew my partners were behind me. I wasn't too afraid another alligator was going to get me.” The alligator _______ to have carried out the attack ________, wildlife officials said.


Key: Move your cursor mouse here >> was saved -waded- was later described- had admitted- responded- are broken- dragged- is believed- broken- was overshadowed- believed- was later caught

No comments: